GovernmentDepartmentsResidentsEconomic DevelopmentHow Do I?
Click to Home
Go To Search
Find Us On
Owning/Operating a Business in Harrisonville
Guide to Opening a Business in Harrisonville
To start a business in Harrisonville, you are required to have a business license and, if your business includes retail sales or collects sales tax, such as a motel, a State of Missouri Sales Tax Number is also required.  In addition, you will need to have utilities connected in your place of business and comply with all building, fire, and zoning regulations.

The following provides general information on city requirements.

If you have any questions, please call Tammy Jonas at the City Collector's Office at 816-380-8908.

Please check with the Community Development Department to assure the property is appropriately zoned for your intended business use. Zoning laws restrict the use of property and may limit the use of the location you have selected. To contact the Community Development Department regarding zoning laws, call 816-380-8958.

Missouri Sales Tax Number
If your business collects sales tax, you are required to have a Missouri Sales Tax Number. You may obtain information by calling the Missouri Tax Payers Assistance Office at 1-573-751-3505 or visit their web site,   Per Missouri State Statute, we will not issue a business license to anyone who owes outstanding sales tax to the state.  You must present a No Tax Due letter to receive your business license.  

As of July 2014, the state closed all regional field offices.  The only remaining office is located in Jefferson City.  All forms can be found online, filled out and submitted there.  But please be aware that processing the form may take from 5-30 days, depending on the type of form you are submitting or requesting.   
If you are located in one of the city's Transportation Development Districts (TDD), you will be required to charge an additional sales tax.

City Business License
Each business operating or providing a service in Harrisonville is required to have the appropriate City Business License before you can begin operating. The license includes a flat fee, the amount of which may vary depending on type of business. Please see Section 605.010 of the Harrisonville Code of Ordinances .  Other state and federal licenses may also be required, depending on the type of business.

Retail merchants and any business which collects sales tax must present a Statement of No Tax Due issued by the Missouri Department of Revenue when obtaining or renewing a business license. 

Applications and information can be obtained from the City Finance Department, 300 E. Pearl, by calling 816-380-8908.  For your convenience, you may also, view, complete, print or submit a business license application for your particular business by clicking one of the following selections.

General Business License
Private Security, Private Investigator
Massage Therapist
Liquor License   Issued by the City Clerk's Office.  Please call 380-8916 for complete information.                    
Pawn Shop, Small Loan Establishment  -- In addition, please contact the Community Development Director, 380-8912, to obtain a Special Use Permit.
Peddler's License -- In addition, please contact the Police Department, 380-8928, for further information and credentialing. 

Inspection and Review
Upon receipt of your application, the city will begin a review process including the inspection of the business location. A request for inspection will be sent to the Community Development and Fire departments. If the business involves the sale or preparation of food, the Cass County Health Department will also be notified.

The inspection and review process is provided to assure City Code compliance. The Community Development Department will see if the business conforms to zoning laws and will inspect accessible areas for compliance to applicable building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical codes. Building inspectors will also look at structural and possible site issues for compliance. The Fire Department will inspect all life / safety systems within the structure for compliance. Adequate egress, portable fire extinguisher, lighting, and other items are among the issues looked at. Should a code correction be required, you will be notified by the appropriate department. All corrections must be made before the occupation license can be issued. It is important that you be aware of all departmental approvals or correction notices before you begin to make any corrections. Knowing what has been approved and what needs to be corrected can save time and help you obtain your occupation license more quickly.

If you have questions concerning inspections or corrective notices, please contact the following department as applicable:
  • Community Development: 816-380-8958
  • Fire Prevention: 816-380-8953
  • Cass County Health: 816-380-8425

If you need assistance or have questions regarding the occupation license process, please contact the Finance Department at 816-380-8908 or email

Utility Connections
You can apply for utility connections or obtain information regarding electric, sewer or water service provided by the City of Harrisonville by contacting the Utility Billing Office, 816-380-8901.

Statement of No Tax Due